Hamburg Welcome Center (English)

You are reading the original text

Thank you for your interest in a translation into plain language. Unfortunately, we cannot offer the article in plain language at this time. We are trying to expand the range.

Thank you for your interest in a translation into sign language. Unfortunately, we cannot offer the article in sign language at this time. We are trying to expand the range.

Residence matters for professionals

You apply for your first residence permit for the purpose of apprenticeship, studying or working at the HWCP. Skilled workers can extend their residence permit here.

Hier ist das Logo des Hamburg Welcome Centers für Professionals zu sehen.
© Hamburg Welcome Center

Skilled foreign workers and their families can register their primary residence as well as apply for the required residence permit. This offer exists parallel to the district immigration services, giving specialists a choice of where and how to register.

About Us

‘Foreigner Affairs for Skilled Workers’ is part of the ‘Hamburg Welcome Center for Professionals’ section of the Migration Office of the Ministry of the Interior and Sport (Amt für Migration der Behörde für Inneres und Sport).

Our Services

We offer services relating to residence and registration rights. These include:

  • Issuing, renewing and transferring residence permits
  • Registration and change of residence
  • Acceptance of declarations of commitment in accordance with Section 68 of the Residence Act (Aufenthaltsgesetz)
  • Application for certificates of good conduct

An information sheet on the fictional certificate can be downloaded as a PDF here.

The Hamburg Welcome Centre is responsible for you if you

  • want to apply for a residence permit for the purpose of training, studying, employment or self-employment and freelance work (§§ 16a to 21 AufenthG) for the first time after entering Germany or 
  • are a skilled worker and wish to extend or transfer your residence permit in accordance with §§ 18a to 18g AufenthG or wish to apply for a settlement permit or 
  • are a family member of the above-mentioned persons and require a residence permit.

Please note the change in responsibility!

You can use the online service residence permit to find out who is responsible and submit your application.

Contact Information

Please always make an appointment for a consultation!
To apply and submit documents, please use the online service "Residence Permit Hamburg".
You can also reach us by telephone at +49 40 42839-5500 (Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.).

Please note that due to the high number of inquiries, response times are currently longer. Therefore, please refrain from inquiring about the status of the proceedings. We will respond to you as soon as possible.

We are also happy to advise you in English!

Hamburg Welcome Center
Süderstraße 32 b
20097 Hamburg

Show directions

Or do you have a different inquiry?

Please contact our Welcome Desk. We will take your request and forward it to the responsible contact person.