You are reading the original text

Thank you for your interest in a translation into plain language. Unfortunately, we cannot offer the article in plain language at this time. We are trying to expand the range.

Thank you for your interest in a translation into sign language. Unfortunately, we cannot offer the article in sign language at this time. We are trying to expand the range.

Declaration of Commitment

By submitting a Declaration of Commitment you can enable a foreign national to enter Germany for a short-term visit or long-term stay.

In principle, third-country nationals must prove that they have sufficient income to independently finance their livelihood before entering and staying in Germany. If this is not possible for the person entering the country, under certain circumstances a person living in Germany can submit a declaration of commitment (‘Verpflichtungserklärung’) for the respective person.

You must give the original of the declaration of commitment to your foreign guest so that this person can present the completed form when applying for a visa or a residence permit. A declaration of commitment can only be applied for a maximum of six months before the first day of the visit. If this period has elapsed, the competent mission abroad will decide whether a current declaration of commitment must be submitted.

Extent of the obligation

By submitting a declaration of commitment, you undertake to pay for all costs incurred by your guest in Germany, if they cannot pay for these themselves.

This includes, for example:

  • living expenses (food, accommodation, clothing)
  • costs for medical treatment and in the event of need for nursing care (proof of sufficient health and nursing care insurance coverage is required)
  • costs for possible repatriation to the home country (if your guest does not leave voluntarily)

The declaration of commitment is generally valid for a period of five years.

Requirements for the submission of a declaration of commitment

You can only submit a declaration of commitment if you have sufficient income of your own and do not claim any financial support from the state. As a rule, you will have to provide appropriate proof (e.g. proof of accommodation, income and insurance). If your income alone is not sufficient, a Declaration of Commitment can also be submitted jointly by two or more persons.

If you are not a citizen of an EU member state, you will also need a residence permit which is valid for the entire duration of your guest’s stay in order to submit a declaration of commitment.


Please contact your local Customer Service Center responsible for your place of residence.

Use the authority finder:

declaration of commitment (stay less than 90 days)

declaration of commitment (stay over 90 days)

Enter your registered address (street name and house number) in Hamburg

Press the red button (“Weiter”)

The Hamburg Administration Guide will now show you the relevant department’s contact details and opening hours. 

The fee of this customer service is 29 euros.

Procedure and Documents

  • exact personal details of your guest (first and last name, date and place of birth, address abroad, the serial number of the passport is also desirable).,
  • your valid ID card or passport and, if applicable, your valid residence permit
  • expected rental costs and health insurance certificates of your guest

To prove your financial standing, you must also provide:

  • in case of employees: wage/salary statements for the past three months (if applicable, also child benefit, child supplement or parental allowance notices)
  • in the case of pensioners: a pension notice stating the current amount of your monthly pension
  • for self-employed persons or freelancers: most recent tax assessment notice and current profit and loss statement or other evidence showing monthly net income or current monthly profit (bank statements or savings books are not sufficient)
  • for legal entities (e.g. GmbH): extract from the commercial register (not older than three months), profit and loss account or other evidence (presentation by the managing director or an authorized signatory).

Depending on the individual case, further documents and proof may be necessary.

Information on the application and the documents to be submitted can be found in the forms section.